Appreciative Inquiry Practitioner Training (AIPT)
We live and work in an environment engulfed in continuous change. The need to evolve and endure requires all human systems (large or small) to self-organize amongst itself – seeking new and innovative ways to make sense of what is happening in the world around them. Appreciative Inquiry is a way of bringing about change that shares leadership and learning – fully engaging everyone in the process. As a result, Appreciative Inquiry can foster enthusiasm for and high commitment to effective, sustainable change.
To be of service to individuals, groups, organizations, and communities, consultants need to know and develop flexible processes that meet the desired outcomes of their clients. This workshop is for those who work to give human systems the internal capacity to embrace and profit from inevitable changes in the environment.
In this highly experiential workshop, participants will become immersed in the practice of facilitating clients in identifying what gives life to their human systems in ways that build agile, adaptive and innovative organizations. Together, participants will experience an advanced community of practice where they can identify their personal strengths as AI facilitators, enhance their contracting skills, and expand their capacity to design and lead AI initiatives that result in accelerated, sustainable change with measurable outcomes. Participants will be encouraged to share their experiences and participate in dialogues drawn from their actual experiences while in the field.
Who should attend?
This advanced workshop is targeted towards individuals, who have a basic grounding in Appreciative Inquiry; who are engaged in implementing AI initiatives in group, business, government, non-profit organizations and communities; and who are ready to move to the next level. Because of the advance nature of this workshop, participants are expected to have already participated in the Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training © (AIFT) or a course equivalent to it and have some experience using the process of Appreciative Inquiry.
- Competence in articulating the concepts and research behind:
- Social constructionism, positive psychology, the new sciences and the emerging paradigm as context for AI;
- Image-action connection / Role of language and inquiry in image creation;
- People and organizations as mysteries to be embraced;
- A wide range of AI “applications” (e.g. community development, peace building, conflict resolution, strategic planning, organization and business process design, team building, diversity initiatives, evaluation, etc.).
- Competence in guiding clients in the following Appreciative Inquiry process:
- Identifying topics from generic interviews;
- Crafting customized protocol AI questions;
- Training Interviewers;
- Identifying life-giving forces from the customized protocol interviews as prelude to possibility statements;
- Leading expressive dream sessions;
- Provocative Proposition (Possibility Statements) development;
- Expanding appreciative conversations throughout the system (large or small);
- Innovating the socio-technical architecture of the organization (e.g. the structures, roles, processes and systems) so as to support and help bring to life the Provocative Propositions;
- Helping to build ongoing internal AI capability.
- Competence in these AI consulting skills:
- Experiential education;
- Use of self as instrument (being personally congruent with AI theory);
- Contracting / Client Relations / Project Management;
- Integration of AI with large group / interactive methods (e.g. open space, future search, whole system design, etc.).
- Participate in the 4-day Appreciative Inquiry Facilitator Training© (AIFT) or equivalent course.
- Complete and submit their practicum for review and re-certification.